Obviously, there are many fine lawyers you can hire or consult with but it’s important to work with an attorney who not only has the knowledge, skill, and determination to successfully protect your interests, but one you’ll be comfortable with – an attorney whose values and approach will be a good fit.
So, in addition to my “official” qualifications (which you can read at the bottom of this page), here’s a short summary of what I believe, what drives me, and how I approach my legal practice.
I grew up with nine siblings in a household where our parents worked hard to treat all of us equally. No one was better than the others and no one was favored over the others. We were also taught to see the world that way – to not play favorites and to not judge others. So fairness and treating people with respect are central to my personal value system.
We were also taught to do our best at everything, whether it was school or hobbies or sports. “If it’s worth doing, it’s worth doing right.” Put simply, I’m driven by excellence, and I’m driven by it at a deep level.
Finally, more than half of my siblings became accomplished team athletes. You can read more about my sports background here, but four highlights include: filing an action against UCONN under the then-new Title IX statute as an undergraduate to compel the creation of a woman’s soccer program, being selected as a Division I First Team All-American in soccer, being named to the first Women’s U.S. National Soccer team, and serving as Head Coach of the Yale Division I Women’s Soccer Team. I share this with you because that inner fire of competitiveness and teamwork continues to drive me as a lawyer.
I bring these qualities to every client and every case I take because it’s who I am and how I practice law.
My clients are up against institutions with significant resources behind them, whether the state or federal government with its prosecutorial and law enforcement agencies or colleges and universities. So my clients need a strong advocate to level the playing field and make sure their rights are wisely and vigorously defended.
MY LEGAL CAREER
My experience in a variety of legal settings gives me an invaluable perspective that I leverage on behalf of my clients every day.
- Upon graduating law school, I worked briefly for a large Connecticut firm before accepting a position to serve for two years as a law clerk to federal district judge the Honorable Stefan R. Underhill, where I learned about criminal and civil cases from a judge’s perspective
- I then worked for two years as a litigation associate at Sullivan and Cromwell in New York where I represented clients on white collar criminal defense, regulatory issues and complex litigation
- I came back to Connecticut to build my career at another major firm only to be offered a position as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney’s office, which I accepted in 2005.
FORMER ASSISTANT UNITED STATES ATTORNEY
Over my ten years as a federal prosecutor, I handled a wide variety of criminal investigations and cases, from white collar fraud to drug and gun cases. I worked closely with the major federal law enforcement agencies and appeared in federal court hundreds of times, including being lead counsel in numerous criminal trials.
RE-ENTRY AND COMMUNITY OUTREACH COORDINATOR
In my last few years as a prosecutor (in addition to handling criminal cases), I worked with the community as the Re-Entry and Community Outreach Coordinator for the U.S Attorney’s office in Connecticut. In that role, I organized and/or participated in dozens of initiatives which brought together community leaders and activists on a range of topics including:
- Gang and youth violence prevention strategies
- Post-incarceration re-entry to society and the workforce
- Race bias in law enforcement
- Campus sexual assault prevention and training
Duffy Law is the culmination of my professional path. It’s how I get to best help people who need a strong partner in navigating the judicial and education institutions with which they’re contending.
If either you or someone you know needs experienced, tenacious legal counsel, call me at 203-946-2000 at no cost and we can explore if I am the right lawyer for you.
Quinnipiac University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
- Martin B. Margulies Civil & Political Rights Award
- West Publishing Company Award for Outstanding Legal Scholarship
- Outstanding Legal Scholarship Award, Superior Classroom Performance
- Academic Excellence Award
- Service to the Community Award
- Outstanding Woman Law Graduate
- MacFarlane Memorial Award for Excellence in Family Law
- Law Review
- Associate Justice-Student Bar Association Judicial Board
- Phi Delta Phi
University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut
- Ph.D. – Education (Sport Psychology)
- M.A. – Education (Sport Psychology)
- B.A. – Psychology
- Dean’s List
- Senior Recognition Award
- Student Leader Award
- First Team All-America Soccer
- Division I Varsity Soccer
- Participated in Title IX Action
How Can We Help?